Monday, July 7, 2014

In a world filled with predictable dystopia after predictable dystopia, "Starbird Murphy and the World Outside" by Karen Finneyfrock was a nice refreshing change. The story is told from Starbird's point of view and it is a very interesting one. Starbird a teenage girl who grew up on Free Family commune farm in rural Washington state. She has never experienced the things you would expect a normal teenage girl to do, like use a cell phone or the internet or even touch money.

Starbird's life is turned upside down when she receives her Calling to take a job as a waitress at the Free Family's cafe in Seattle. There she finds out that life on the outside isn't the horrible place she feared and that the Free Family may not be the harmonious community she had believed in her entire life.

This is one of my favorite books that I have read this year. It was very original and the main character, Starbird, was very interesting to get to know. I haven't read a realisitic YA book in quite a while and now I am very glad that I made the leap. While I do love fantasy and science fiction, it was nice to break out of my routine and read something that was truly entertaining and though provoking.



Star rating: 5/5 stars! 

In knitting and crafting news...

I have started a new cowl that I am pretty excited about. It is the Blackberry Bramble pattern by Thea Colman. It is my foray into the world of color work. While I have done some simple stripes color work with the several Stephen West shawl's I have made, I have not done much with stranded color work. I did 7 inches on the plain stockinette section yesterday and I am excited to get the fun color work!

In sewing news I have almost finished the Washi dress by Made by Rae. Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment