Saturday, June 22, 2013

Lifely duties or lack thereof

I have to admit my knitting has been taking a backseat to my reading lately. I just finished Icons by Margaret Stohl and I have to admit that I have been neglecting my normal lifely duties to read it.



I was expecting it to be a run of the mill dystopia, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was intriguing enough to keep me up past my bed time. In this dystopia, Earth is invaded and Icons are placed in 13 cities across the world. The Icons can make all electrical impulses cease, including human hearts. The invaders of the Earth, The Lords, have enslaved the population to live in The Projects and to do their bidding. Sixteen years later we find Dol, her best friend Ro, and their caretaker the Padre happily living in the countryside away from the Icons and The Projects. On Dol's birthday her whole world changes when Ro and Dol are taken by the Sympas, the enforcers of The Lords, and taken to a secret facility to see the Ambassador. It is there they learn there true identities and that they are not only in their secrets.

In knitting news I am slowly working on the San Mateo Cowl. I love cowls, but for some reason my knitting mojo has been a little Ehhhhh lately. I have a due date of June 30th for Camp Loopy, but I am not sure if I am going to make my deadline.

In happy news I am attending the American Library Association annual conference in Chicago next week! I am looking forward to seeing what is new and exciting in YA books and programs. I'll update on what new YA books are going to be hot for Fall!

Thanks Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for my signed copy of the book (I never win contests, this was awesome)!

No comments:

Post a Comment